Despite the ever-increasing popularity, the students, and sometimes the teachers themselves, have little idea how to write an essay.
Because of this, there is a misunderstanding of the principles and requirements of how to write an essay, the student has either an essay or a scientific article.
What is an essay
This is a small written work of a creative nature, where the author in a free manner expresses his thoughts about some actual problem, substantiating his vision of its essence.
Consider the main features of this type of work:
- Small amount of work. Traditionally, the volume ranges from two to seven pages. This causes such features of the design of the text and presentation of the material, such as the absence of a plan, division into chapters, removal of the introduction or conclusions to the work on a separate page.
- Concrete. Due to the small amount of work it is impossible to analyze many aspects of the phenomenon under study. The need for compliance with the size makes it necessary to concentrate all attention on one issue.
- Having your own opinion. In fact, everything is built around the views of the author, the subsequent proof of their objectivity.
- Free style. Writing an essay involves the use of journalistic style, a departure from complex structures. At the same time, the use of colloquial words, jargon, everyday names should be avoided.
- Using theses and arguments. In contrast to the essay, it is built on the formulation of certain theses, which are later required to be confirmed by several arguments. The main part has the form “thesis – arguments – new theses – new arguments”.
- The ability to use creativity in presenting their views. You are not limited to any rigid frameworks, so you can argue your arguments in any form: examples, paradoxes, personal experience, description of the situations you see. Allowed the presence of quotations, aphorism, statements that can attract the attention of the reader.
- Internal unity. Despite the absence of strict requirements for how to make an essay, all the arguments and theses presented should be subordinated to the answer to the main question. It is the hypothesis put in the introduction that must be proved, what should be written in the conclusions.
As you can see, the main difference from the composition is the ring structure. The style of writing, a small amount, the underlining of one’s own opinion distinguishes this type of written work from a scientific article.